"Your website and publications have been a useful source of good information that I have shared with builders and fellow plans reviewers."
– Code Official - Spotsylvania County, Virginia
The American Wood Council (AWC) is proud to introduce its new program, Code Official Connections! It is free to qualified governmental employees* and is designed for the professional needs of the code administration and enforcement community.
The AWC Code Official Connections program ensures code officials are among the first recipients of the most up-to-date building code related wood design and construction information and technical support regarding traditional and engineered wood products. Code officials enjoy a wide array of AWC offerings including:
- One free AWC/ANSI electronic standard (PDF) of your choosing (i.e., NDS, SDPWS, or WCFM) at sign up
- Free building department access to WoodWorks® software
- Free electronic or discounted printed Technical Publications
- WoodPost, a bi-weekly e-newsletter tailored for code officials
- Announcements of education programs offering ICC Preferred Provider CEUs and other credits
- Easy-to-use online tools (e.g., the Maximum Span Calculator for Wood Joists and Rafters as well as PDFs of the Code Conforming Wood Design guide and the Prescriptive Residential Wood Deck Construction Guide)
To receive the free electronic standard and access to WoodWorks, be sure your account profile indicates that you are interested in receiving them. They will be sent to you electronically. Publications discounts will automatically show up in our shopping cart.
AWC has also developed a service to respond to technical inquiries on building codes, standards, and other design information regarding traditional and engineered wood products. Contact the AWC Help Desk at 202-463-4713, or by e-mail at email@example.com.
Qualified code officials can join Code Official Connections for free. Verification may be requested (see application). If you do not qualify, AWC also offers a Design Professional Membership for an annual fee.
"A great service has been provided to the code official community. With limited funds in a slow economy, training budgets often suffer. Job well done and it is most appreciated."
– Code Official - City of Portsmouth , VA
AWC makes it easy to keep up to date with new standards and codes and AWC’s tools and products through its educational programs. AWC grants:
- Continuing Education Units (CEUs) as part of the International Code Council (ICC) Education Preferred Provider Program,
- Professional Development Hours (PDHs) as part of the National Council of Structural Engineers Associations (NCSEA) Diamond Review Program, and
- Health, Safety and Welfare Learning Units (LUs) as part of the American Institute of Architects (AIA) Continuing Education System.
Note: Beginning in 2016, 50 percent of the CEUs required by ICC for certification renewal must be earned from training by ICC or an ICC Preferred Provider – compared to 20 percent in 2015.